Monday, August 13, 2012

Poems - part 3b

This is the poem that was read during Seth's memorial service:

What Makes A Mother?

I thought of my little one

and I closed my eyes
and prayed to God today.
I asked what makes a Mother
and I know I heard him say,

"A Mother has a baby.

This we know is true."
But God can you be a Mother
when your baby's not with you?

"Yes you can!" He replied

with confidence in His voice,
"I give many women babies,
when they leave is not their choice."

"Some I send for a lifetime

and others for a day.
And some I send to feel your womb
but there's no need to stay."

"I just don't understand this God,

I want my baby here."
He took a deep breath and cleared His throat
and then I saw a tear.

"I wish I could show you

what your little one
is doing here today.
If you could see [him] smile
with other children and say..."

"We go to earth to learn our lessons

of love and life and fear.
My mommy loved me oh so much
I got to come straight here."

"I feel so lucky to have a Mom

who has so much love for me
I learned my lesson very quick
My Mommy set me free."

"I miss My Mommy oh so much

but I visit her each day.
When she goes to sleep
on her pillow's where I lay."

"I stroke her hair and kiss her cheek

and whisper in her ear,
Mommy don't be sad today
I'm your baby and I'm here."

"So you see my dear sweet one,

your children are OK.
Your babies are here in my home
and this is where they'll stay."

"They'll wait for you with me

until your lesson is through.
And on the day that you come home
they'll be at the gates for you."

"So now you see what makes a Mother.

It's the feeling in your heart.
It's the love you had so much of
right from the very start." 


And these are the ones I would have liked to have read, if only I had the voice:

It must be very difficult
to be a man in grief,
since "men don't cry" and men are strong"
No tears can bring relief.

It must be very difficult
To stand up to the test
and field calls and visitors
So she can get some rest.

They always ask if she's all right
and what she's going through,
but seldom take his hand and ask,
"My friend, but how are you?"
He hears her crying in the night
and thinks his heart will break.
He dries her tears and comforts her,
But "stays strong" for her sake.

It must be very difficult
To start each day anew
and try to be so very brave
He lost his baby too.
Eileen Knight Hagemeister

They Say There is a Reason (Author Unknown)
They say there is a reason,
They say that time will heal,
But neither time nor reason,
Will change the way I feel,
For no-one knows the heartache,
That lies behind our smiles,
No-one knows how many times,
We have broken down and cried,
We want to tell you something,
So there won't be any doubt,
You're so wonderful to think of,
But so hard to be without.

Little Snowdrop (Author Unknown)

The world may never notice
If a Snowdrop doesn't bloom,
Or even pause to wonder
If the petals fall too soon.
But every life that ever forms,
Or ever comes to be,
Touches the world in some small way
For all eternity.

The little one we long for
Was swiftly here and gone.
But the love that was then planted
Is a light that still shines on.
And though our arms are empty,
Our hearts know what to do.
Every beating of our hearts
Says that we love you.

 

No comments: