Monday, March 7, 2011

March

We're only a week in and March is already an eventful month!

On the 1st, we picked up the van.  We are now a minivan family!  I've loved it the few times I've driven it, a very smooth drive.  It's hard to back up still, and I can't see the front end, so I don't know if I've pulled far enough or too far forward.  Otherwise, it's very nice!  One of the wireless headsets didn't work once we replaced the batteries so we had to order a new one.  It'll be nice to have those two dvd players once we head to Missouri this summer for my cousin's wedding!

On the 4th, we decided that we were going to better live the Word of Wisdom by eating more veggies and less meat.  D&C 89:12-13 states "Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly; And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine."  Granted, "[m]odern methods of refrigeration now make it possible to preserve meat in any season" as stated by more modern church officials, so we don't feel the need to take meat completely out of our diet, just cut back on it.

Anyway, so we've been having some interesting meals.  One night it was a Green Salad where all the veggies (lettuce, cucumber, peas, broccoli, avocado) and even the dressing (cilantro tomatillo ranch) were green.  Then we had a fruit salad another night (canned peaches, canned pears, apples, red grapes, and I usually add walnuts but I was out).  Then we had a mock Cafe-Rio style salad last night (cilantro lime rice, black beans in a cilantro tomato sauce, romaine lettuce, parmesan, guacamole, cilantro, all inside a tortilla shell).  Tonight we're having a Jicama Orange salad (diced jicama and mandarin oranges in a sauce made from cilantro, sour cream, and a little of the juice from the canned oranges).  Also on the menu are a sweet potato soup and a different fruit salad.  Finding new recipes and being a little more healthy is quite an adventure!!

Then, on the 6th, we attended a baby blessing.  Ben has been friends with Joe since they were in junior high, maybe earlier.  His wife, Kim, and I shared a due date of Jan 4th.  We both had girls.  Haylie Peterson was born 01-01-11 and Kiersten was born 01-02-11.  A day apart!  We blessed Kiersten last month and this month was Haylie's blessing.  It was very sweet and I loved watching Ben and Joe carry around their little princesses!  I love good daddies!

Two cute things happened in the van (tee hee, we have a van now!!!) on the way to the baby blessing.  First, Keith showed his compassionate side as he heard Kiersten crying and said to me, "Mommy, I can't reach Kiersten.  Can you help her?"  What a sweet boy!  Usually, I ask him to give Kiersten her pacifier when I am either busy or can't reach Kiersten (such as while driving).  I'm so happy to hear that he's noticing the needs of others and responding to them!  The other cute thing was from Mitchell.  We were listening to the cd of Primary songs for this year and got to "Search, Ponder, and Pray" when Mitchell started shouting out "Pop-Tart Pray!"  Search, "Pop-Tart [and] Pray!"  I love it!

One week down, 3 to go!  We're planning to take the kids to Cabella's this month, and the food journey will continue.  Maybe once we have the veggies down well, we can start taking out some of the refined sugars!

No comments: