Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Skin and Diet

Poor Keith.  We had noticed that he had been licking around his mouth and the skin is now very chapped.  This has been going on for a couple months.  Well, this week we noticed that the chapping goes all over his face, and then down under his shirt.  Today, I noticed that it's also on his hands so badly that where it's already dry and rough skin, he's got spots that are red and worse than the rest.  I feel so badly!

So, now it looks like we'll be doing a whole food diet (nothing processed, only things straight from the ground/tree/plant) so that we can clear up his skin.  Ben has psoriatic arthritis, the psoriasis portion causing his skin to break out in horribly dry spots that get thick and white if untreated.  I've had horrible eczema for years, the worst being in college when it was big bloody scabs on the back of my legs for years.  Now, our skin issues are passing on to Keith.

Right before moving to Utah, I went on a whole food diet.  As I moved here, my skin cleared up beautifully.  It's been 6 years now and I'm starting to have eczema breakouts on my legs again.  So I know that this diet can work.  I know Keith isn't going to be happy about our diet changes, but it's going to have to happen in order to heal him and us. 

I'll try to remember to post the changes in our bodies as we undertake this diet for health reasons rather than to just feel better mentally and emotionally about our food choices.  I'm sure there will be plenty of changes.

No comments: